This photo shows the student parking lot on registration day, September 8, 1940, at 7:45 a.m. Many students attending the college furnished their own transportation. For the accommodation of cars, a federal project was undertaken to grade and surface an approximately 60,000-square-foot area lying at the east end of College Place and Nutwood Place off Lemon Avenue (behind the Student Union Building). The area was leveled and surfaced with oil and accommodated around 280 cars. A parking lot with 65 spaces was also set aside near the power station for faculty members. Before the parking lot was paved, it became flooded and muddy during rain storms so students dubbed it Lake Fullertonian. On page two of the Feb. 21, 1941 issue of the Weekly Torch, the newspaper ran a series of photographs of the slippery lot.