Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

One year after Fullerton Junior College opened, John W. Hetebrink, son of Fullerton pioneer Henry T. Hetebrink, Jr., constructed this home at 515 East Chapman Avenue. At the time of construction, the dwelling was part of a 40-acre ranch north of Chapman Avenue. Over the years, the Hetebrink family sold off acreage around the home but still held on to this landmark home adjacent to the campus. Its location so close to the campus has given it an air of mystery and many incorrectly believe that it is actually part of the college. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the home is the most outstanding example of Mission Revival architecture in Fullerton. For decades, Albert (Pete) Hetebrink, 1923 student body president, lived in the house before passing away in his 100s. During the 1970s, the Hetebrink family did offer the home to the college, but when asked what FJC intended to do with the property, and the response was build a parking lot, the offer was withdrawn. (Courtesy of Edgar Lara.)