Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

When the stock market crashed on October 29, 1929, The Weekly Torch made no mention of the economic collapse, and the event was barely covered by the local newspaper. For the first years of the Great Depression, Fullerton residents weathered the economic downturn, but in 1931, city workers started the first local relief program by donating one day’s pay each month to put the city’s unemployed to work. The first soup kitchen, operated by the American Legion, opened the same year, and was followed three years later by a government-sponsored food program at the Ford School, located between Chapman and Wilshire Avenues. Many residents also left the city, with Fullerton’s population declining from 10,860 in 1930 to 10,422 in 1940. Government-assisted employment also became available, with 71 FJC students receiving employment on campus with Federal Emergency Relief Administration funds. (Courtesy of the Fullerton Public Library.)
Tags: government, funding, New, Deal