In 1934, at the height of the Great Depression, the Board of Trustees approved the purchase of land for the new FJC campus, the James C. Sheppard ranch. The purchase of the ranchland reflected the faith and optimism Fullerton residences had toward the continued success and growth of the college. This aerial photograph shows the ranch, covered with walnut and orange trees, around 1930. The residences along Harvard (now Lemon) Avenue were to remain for decades before finally being demolished. Following World War II, the Trustees purchased additional land, which extended north of the campus past Berkeley Avenue, from the Sheppard family.