Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

One of the most important individuals during this first construction period was William (Willie) B. Potter (1886-1967). Before assuming the position of Plant/Building Superintendent, Potter designed and constructed Fullerton homes with local contractors Robert Ben Carey (1882-1967). The two men built a number of dwellings town (e.g., 1234 Luanne, 115 South Malden, 701 N. Richman, etc.), but are best known for the Brea Creek Bridge and the American Legion Patriotic Hall, now the Hillcrest Park Recreation Center. When the bottom fell out of the construction market during the Depression, the two men worked on separate projects. Carey was appointed to the Library Board of Trustees in 1936, then resigned in 1940 to become supervisor for the construction of the WPA Fullerton Public Library (now the Fullerton Museum Center), working under architect Harry K. Vaughn. Potter was elected twice to the Fullerton City Council, serving from 1928 to 1932. Working under college architect Harry K. Vaughn, Potter oversaw construction of the first campus buildings in the 1930s, including the Commerce Building, the Technical Education Building, and the Social Science and Administration Building. After World War II, he supervised the installation of Federal Public Housing Authority (FPHA) dwelling units on the north side of the campus. The barracks-styled units were moved from military installations and then re-erected on the campus grounds as housing for veterans attending Fullerton College. Potter was also a charter member of the Fullerton Fire Department, established on August 6, 1908, later serving as assistant fire chief. He remained a volunteer fireman for over fifty years. Potter is on the far right in this photograph. (Courtesy of the Fullerton Public Library.)
Tags: building, maintenance