In this 1949 shot, the veteran housing units can be seen behind the school farm. Initially, the veterans’ quarters were to be situated near the front of the campus, but the Board of Trustees were able to purchase, in March 1946, 4.1 acres for $10,126 from city librarian Carrie Sheppard and her mother, Dixie Carolyn. Adjacent to the north boundary of FJC, with a 276-foot frontage along North Harvard (now Lemon) Avenue, the newly acquired property became the perfect site for the former military housing units. In many ways, it was the ideal housing solution for the college. The City of Fullerton also moved barrack-styled wooden housing units to 396 West Truslow Avenue to accommodate veterans who were not attending Fullerton College.