Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

Still intersecting FJC was “Boxcar Avenue,” the Pacific Electric Railway’s right-of-way through the campus. The train line divided the east parking lot, gymnasium, and Art-Home Economic Building from the Library, Science, Applied Arts and Technical Education buildings. Founded by Henry E. Huntington (1850-1927), the Pacific Electric made its debut in Los Angeles in 1900, and in 1918, in Fullerton. The passenger red cars, which often made their way to and from the campus via the concrete overpass or viaduct over Harbor Boulevard, ran in in Fullerton until 1948, but the train continued to make deliveries (often at night) of materials until around 1964. The conductor would often toot the horn if students or automobiles got too close to the train as it moved through the campus. After guarding the north entrance to Fullerton’s downtown area for more than 45 years, the viaduct was demolished in 1964 when its low clearance became a hazard for truck drivers. The viaduct crossed over Harbor Boulevard where Berkeley Avenue now intersects Harbor. In 1966, Berkeley Avenue was widened and extended to Harbor Boulevard, following the old Pacific Electric right-of-way on campus. The Pacific Electric Railway station still exists at 136 East Commonwealth Avenue, and over the years it has been used for a variety of purposes, including a number of restaurants. (Courtesy of the Fullerton Public Library.)