This is a 1940 shot of Donald C. Cruickshank (1904-1979), who was then administrator of the National Youth Administration (NYA) program on campus. He was assisted by two women clerks. Founded in 1935, the NYA was a New Deal program designed to address the growing problem of unemployment among youths from the ages of 16 to 24. The NYA provided grants to high school and college students in exchange for work, allowing young people to continue studying while at the same time preventing the pool of unemployed young from becoming any larger. At its peak in 1940-41, 192 FJC students received a monthly grant of $11.36. In 1943, the NYA was disbanded when large numbers of college students went into military service or found jobs. Cruickshank first came to Fullerton High in 1931 to teach physical education and coach football, but also taught health education at FJC. After serving four years in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II, he returned in 1946 to the High School where he was appointed dean of boys, then vice principal in 1951, and finally principal in 1956.