Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

After completion of the new Aquatic Center, construction began in 2009 on the new 1700 Building, the Field House, located on the northeast side of campus overlooking Hal Sherbeck Field. Plans for the Field House included upgrades and renovation of the sports field, but when it was revealed that the College also planned to build a 1,500-seat stadium, neighbors strongly protested, claiming that the high-density lights, noise, and traffic would adversely affect their area and reduce the value of their homes. The Master Plan did not include the stadium and residents as well as City of Fullerton planning staff were unaware of the stadium plans, which required a CEQA review. Residents quickly formed the Fullerton College Neighborhood Action Council to monitor the situation. Ken Bane, the head of the community group, published a letter in the April 22, 2009 issue of the Hornet (“Fullerton College Irresponsible to Neighbors”), and President Kathleen Hodge held hearings to appease homeowners.