Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

Taken on December 31, 1941, this is Harry K. Vaughn standing in front of the entrance to the new Fullerton Public Library, now the Fullerton Museum Center, on Pomona Avenue. Impressed with Vaughn’s architectural designs, the efficiency with which he supervised building construction, and his ability to obtain federal relief funds, the Fullerton Library Trustees asked Vaughn to design the new WPA Library. Relations between Vaughn and the Library Board of Trustees were cordial, but Vaughn had difficulty getting paid for the project. One of the former Library Trustees had also resigned so that he could supervise the project, but he quickly began interfering with the Library’s construction, to Vaughn’s increasing anger. The Library was Vaughn’s last project in Fullerton. (Courtesy of the Fullerton Public Library)