Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

This photo, one of dozens taken, shows the close documentation given to the Commerce Building, now the 300 building, during construction. Workers are shown here in 1935 excavating the land. To create jobs for unemployed workers, all of the labor was done by hand. When test pits were sunk to determine the character of the soil, it was discovered that the ground consisted of layers of silt, sand, and loam of very low bearing value, so poured piles were used for the foundation work.