This 1920 photograph shows FJC students surveying the 35.6 acres that would eventually become Hillcrest Park. The land was originally known as Reservoir Hill, and the city reservoir can be seen on the top right. Fullerton’s first Park Superintendent Johann George Seupelt (1877-1961), a Bavarian-born horticulturist, forester, and landscape architect, developed the park’s landscaping plan in 1920, laying out the same roads that still exist within the park today. Hillcrest Park is now one of the few parks in the nation listed on the National Register of Historic Places. During the Great Depression, the city of Fullerton used federal and state relief funds to hire hundreds of unemployed men to landscape and build stone and rockwork around the park. Many of the workers and the families were allowed to temporarily camp in the park.