Louis E. Plummer (1883-1958) came to Fullerton in 1909 as head of the Commerce Department in the high school after teaching for five years in Ohio. He became vice-principal of the high school and junior college in 1915 and was advanced to superintendent four years later. During his years as superintendent (1919-1941), Plummer’s far-sighted leadership was instrumental in the development of the college. One of the foremost educators in Orange County, Plummer was also a nativist who, along with other prominent Fullerton residents, joined the Fullerton Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s. After his forced retirement in 1941, Plummer took a post with the Ryan Aircraft Corporation in San Diego as an industrial training manager, a position he held during the remainder of World War II. Plummer spent his last year at FJC writing a history of the high school and college, Fullerton Union High School and Fullerton Junior College, 1893-1943.