Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

In 1923, Dr. William Boyce and his wife Vera began construction of a new residence adjacent to the college at 1101 North Harvard (now Lemon) Avenue. His home quickly became a spot for college meetings, receptions, and parties. This 1927 photograph features members from the Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) at a reception on the front lawn. The wrought iron light near the entrance, since replaced, was made by FJC students enrolled in metal crafts classes. The residence is now the home of the Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority at California State University, Fullerton. Because of its convenient location, the area of Fullerton adjacent to Hillcrest Park became a favorite location for FJC administrators and faculty members, including Louis E. Plummer, Anita Shepardson, a mathematics instructor, and H. Harwood Tracy, head of the Science Department.