When Dr. William T. Boyce arrived at the Fullerton campus, the college had no song or seal—two items he believed were a college’s “most prized elements”—and he worked hard to get both created. In 1921, a student committee selected “The Blue and the Gold” or “O Alma Mater” as the FJC song. The lyrics were written by freshman Betty Dickinson Frazee (later Mrs. Paul Moses) and the music by Harry Briscoe. Both the lyrics and music were published in the May 14, 1921 issue of the local newspaper, the Fullerton News Tribune, along with other poetry written by Frazee. The local newspaper praised the song, calling it a “work that would live.” Known as “Our Poet” by her classmates, Frazee was also Vice-President of the Dramatics Club (1921) and President of the Drama Club (1922). Briscoe appeared in a number of dramatic productions and served as Vice-President of the student body in 1921. Later, two instructors, Monroe Sharpless and Harold Walberg, re-set the Alma Mater to new music. The opening verse of “O Alma Mater” is: All hail to Alma Mater/Thy glories cannot die/So long as loyal hearts are true/So long as heroes vie/For honors in the field and hall/Thy name shall ever be/The challenge and the trumpet call/That leads to victory.