While Americans have been characterized as a nation of joiners, this trait was particularly true in Fullerton, which had dozens of fraternity, charitable, and other voluntary organizations before the town was incorporated in 1904. This penchant for joining was reflected in the large number of student clubs and associations that were quickly established at the college. The first college club was established in 1914. Shown here in the first years of its operations are members of the Associated Women Students (AWS), formed in 1923 in response to the growing number of female students. The purpose of the AWS was to “further women’s activities and to develop a social life among the women students of the campus.” The Associated Men Students (AMS), whose purpose was “to promote a comradely spirit among the men of the school”, was organized in 1930/1931.