Members of the Kayak Club line up at Newport Beach in 1934. The kayaks used by club members were made in school shops, and it usually took about 100 hours to complete each craft. In the 1930s, members participated in races at Santa Monica Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, and down the Santa Ana River. Rollin A. Marsden (standing, on left), head of the Manual Training Department, founded the Kayak Club. Marsden, a graduate of the Stout Institute at Menomonie, Wisconsin, was first employed by the high school in 1909 to introduce manual training courses. He served on the Fullerton City Council from 1920 to 1923.