Fullerton was a socially and politically conservative community, but residents loved to dance. Organizations and associations regularly scheduled formal and informal dances, stores and other retail openings often featured a dance on opening day, and even the new City Hall (1939-1942) on Commonwealth Avenue had a dance floor in the basement. Nevertheless, the Board of Trustees would not approve social dancing. Under great pressure, the board did finally allow social dancing in 1925, but only if the dances were not held on school property. It took a few more years for social dances to be allowed on campus. For this reason, student body dances were held in many places both in and outside of Fullerton, including the October 19, 1930 semi-formal Student Body Dance (shown here) held at the Belmont Beach Club in Long Beach. When social dances were finally allowed on campus, Dean William T. Boyce and his wife Vera took dance lessons so they could participate.