Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

Fullerton and Orange County residents were not initially supporters of President Franklin Roosevelt’s policies. During the 1932 election, President Herbert Hoover, who had made a brief visit to Fullerton, received an overwhelming number of votes, better than a four-to-one margin over Roosevelt. The November 2, 1932 issue of the Weekly Torch reported that in a straw vote FJC students and faculty favored Hoover over Roosevelt. He received a total of 148 votes of the 276 cast. Support for Herbert Hoover had actually started back in April 1920 when a Hoover for President Club was formed in Fullerton, with Dean William T. Boyce serving as president. Nonsupport of Roosevelt’s policies did not stop Fullerton administrators from asking for federal aid, and by the end of the Great Depression, the city had received more Depression-era funding than any city in Orange County. A significant amount of those funds were used to construct new buildings on the FJC campus in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Using Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds, the school district was able to complete construction of a new 4,000-seat stadium and athletic field in 1934. The federal government furnished $65,000 of the $98,000 needed for the project. In addition to providing seating space for spectators, the stadium also provided much-needed room for other purposes, including a general store for school equipment, a warehouse for school supplies, janitors’ storerooms, office space, and a doctor’s examination room and office. At the dedication of the stadium on November 23, 1934, Louis E. Plummer called the new facility “a monument to the New Deal.”
Tags: buildings, WPA, government, funding