Single veterans were heavy users of the cafeteria, witnessed by this 1949 photograph. The average cost of a plate of food was thirty-one cents, and meals were served from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. In addition to part-time veterans, the cafeteria employed twelve full-time women workers. A nonprofit organization, the cafeteria made only enough to meet expenses of the help and to break even on the cost of the food. In 1959, a new cafeteria moved into remodeled space in the Student Union.