The first building designed by William Taylor was the Science Building, which marked the first permanent structure on the FJC campus devoted solely to science and mathematics. Prior to this new building, science and mathematics had been taught in buildings on the Fullerton Union High School campus or, in part, in temporary units moved from the Santa Ana Army base in 1946. The two-story structure cost $341,200 ($11.65 per square foot), and an additional $94,625 for laboratory equipment. Funds for the construction came from a tax increase voted for capital outlay on May 19, 1950. Dr. Arnold O. Beckman (1900-2004), President of Beckman Instruments, Inc. in Fullerton, was asked to speak at the building’s dedication on November 10, 1954. The Science Building, shown here in 1955, was demolished in 2010 to make room for another science building.