Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

In August 1945, T. Stanley Warburton (1910-1979) succeeded A. S. Redfern as Superintendent of Fullerton Junior College and Fullerton Union High School, staying for another fourteen years. A native of San Francisco, Warburton was the first Principle and District Superintendent of Acalanes Union High School in Lafayette, California. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Force in several posts. A graduate of Pomona College, Warburton held a M.A. degree from Claremont College and received his Ph.D from Yale University in 1954. He left Fullerton Junior College to serve as Chancellor of the Los Angeles Community College District, then the world’s largest two-year college system, but was often caught in clashes with the board’s conservative majority. The split widened, and in early 1970, the board voted to hire a deputy superintendent to run the District, leaving Warburton with a largely ceremonial title. He left ten months before his term would have expired in 1971 to accept appointment to run a single college campus—Chaffey College—in Alta Loma. After Warburton resigned from Fullerton JC, he was replaced in May 1959 by Dr. Ernest G. Lake of Racine, Wisconsin. A graduate of Kalispell High in Montana, Lake had been employed as supervisor of schools at Racine since 1951.
Tags: administrators, administration