Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

Fullerton was growing rapidly in the 1950s and 1960s, and one of the reasons for the Open Houses was to gain support for tax increases at a time when there was growing pressure to build elementary, junior high school, and high school campuses. FJC supporters found themselves vying for education funds as school after school was built in Fullerton during this era, including Golden Hills Elementary School (732 Barris Drive) in 1950, Fern Drive Elementary School (1400 Fern Drive) in 1954, and Nicholas Junior High School (1101 West Olive) in 1956. The addition of new high schools, such as La Habra High School (801 W. Highland Avenue) in 1954, Buena Park High School (8833 Academy Drive) in 1956, and Sunny Hills High School (1801 Warburton Way), shown here shortly after it opened in 1959, placed enrollment pressures on Fullerton Junior College as more students sought higher education degrees.
Tags: government, funding, taxes, construction, buildings, higher, education