Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

On July 5, 1957, Governor Goodwin Knight signed a law (Chapter 1681) authorizing two new four-year state colleges in Alameda and Orange Counties. City of Fullerton officials, who decades before had tried to attract what would become the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) to the city, pushed for the state college, and the California State Public Works Board on March 13, 1959 selected an area of orange groves on the eastern edge of town for the new campus. Originally Native American land, the 238-acre site selected was covered by orange trees. (Courtesy of the CSU Fullerton Library)
Tags: California, State, University, higher, education