In 1952, the Orange County School of Nursing opened on the grounds of the Orange County General Hospital in Santa Ana, the only facility of its kind in the County. Designed by architects H. D. Wildman and William Faulkner, the $800,000 building combined classrooms, libraries, offices, and dormitory rooms, as a well as an auditorium, along a series of connected walkways. A critical shortage of nurses, in addition to 1951 legislation that required nurses to have a formal course of training, led to a cooperative plan between community colleges and hospitals. Courses offered at the new school included the History of Nursing, Diet Therapy, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Nursing of Children, Ward Administration, and Principles of Communicable Disease. The first graduating class of six FJC vocational nurses took place the same year.