When FJC was organized in 1913, three foreign languages were taught: Spanish, German, and Latin. By 1960, the languages taught were Spanish, German, French, and Russian, and enrollment in those courses had greatly expanded. Room 529 of the new Applied Arts Building included forty language booths, with certain rows designated for a particular language. Each booth was equipped with a set of earphones, a tape recorder for either listening or recording, and a set of controls. Out of five class meetings, one day was set aside by instructors for a lab session.