Fullerton College: A Pictorial History

Dr. Ernest G. Lake was replaced by Charles H. Wilson (1913-1977), who became the first district head to be formally titled as Chancellor. An Ohio native, Wilson had been superintendent of schools in Maumee, Ohio, Highland Park, Illinois, and Grosse Pointe, Michigan. He authored A Teacher is a Person (1956) and co-authored Exploring Chicago (1958). Wilson was diagnosed with cancer in 1976, but continued as Chancellor until a successor was found. Leadie M. Clark assumed the post on August 1, 1977. Wilson entered St. Jude Hospital the next day and died thirteen days later. Wilson was not a supporter of the comparative grading system (A, B, C, D, and F), believing it to be “a shackling influence on individual development.”
Tags: NOCCCD, administrators