With the adoption of the California Master Plan in 1960, many junior colleges changed their name, dropping the “junior” in favor of “community.” President H. Lynn Sheller, Esther Hatch and a group of pioneering faculty members, however, narrowly defeated a plan to change Fullerton Junior College to Fullerton College. It was not until August 23, 1972, that the Board of Trustees voted to formally change the name to Fullerton College. At the same time, the District decided to change its name from the North Orange County Junior College District. Chancellor Charles H. Wilson preferred the shorter North Orange Colleges, but the new name selected was the North Orange County Community College District (NOCCCD). It took several years before brochures, signage, stationery, and other forms of communication were altered to reflect the name change. In late 1976, the campus installed new directories between the 1000 building and the Library, near the Music Building, and between the 500 Building and the cafeteria. Standing in front of one of the new directories is counselor Chet Hurd. Fine arts instructor Graham Booth was commissioned by the Associated Students to design and produce the directories.